Those roundish curled up wood-like sticks, whose powder helps warm many a dessert and whose spice-filled aroma cannot go amiss in culinary experiences across cultures. On the other hand, you have the golden flow of honey – like a stream of golden amber – as delicious as it is healthy. The two combined is being toasted the world over as the ultimate combination to not just cleanse the body and detoxify it but also address several health concerns such as obesity, cholesterol, inflammatory diseases, sluggish metabolism, and hyperacidity above all.
One has heard ample discourses on the wonder of honey and how it, when combined with lemon as a morning drink, has been an age-old metabolism booster. But the latest findings on the dramatic impact that honey cinnamon brings on weight loss have made many sit up and take notice of its detox abilities and its effect on speeding up metabolic activities.
Lets’ try and gauge how each ingredient here has a role of its own.
Benefits of Honey
- With a better GI level or Glycemic level than sugar, it does not get absorbed by the blood immediately and thus allows slow usage in the body keeping the blood sugar levels steady.
- This in turns keeps energy level more stable and keeps unnecessary cravings under control.
- Honey also has B2, B3, B5, B6, and vitamin C. It is believed that the sugars in honey that are released slowly into the bloodstream will also help in better absorption of vitamins and minerals naturally endowed in it.
- This is also a reason that honey after meals in considered the best way to enhance food nutrient absorption.
- Honey is high in several enzymes that aid in digestion and also have healthy oils.
- They are antimicrobial and antibacterial which makes it an ideal component to detox the digestive tract as well.
- It’s rich content of iron, vitamins, and minerals makes it an ideal source for boosting immune system as well.
- Known to be healing wounds, it also works wonders as a cough suppressant and in treating burns.
Used by the Egyptians for embalming, it was mostly used to cure and to preserve things from decay. This life-giving property owes much to the qualities of enzymes it interacts with.
- Considered highly beneficial for wound healing and for removing toxicities from the body.
- Also seen as anti-parasitic and antimicrobial.
- It is known to lower LDL by 7–27%,and lowers triglycerides by 23–30%
- Fights obesity and is a guard against type 2 diabetes.
- Rich in fiber, manganese, iron, and antioxidants.
- Cleanses the colon and the digestive system and thus stimulates the system to burn fat faster and more effectively.
- Stabilizes blood sugar levels as increased blood sugars is known to increase the storage of fat deposit in the body. In this manner, it addresses obesity.
In fact, the Journal of Medicinal Foods submitted its report in 2011 saying that cinnamon powder usage has led to improvement in Fasting Blood Sugar in people with type 2 diabetes.
A combination of such potentially powerful ingredients can only raise the impact to quite another level. In fact, the combination of cinnamon and honey is being touted as one of the healthiest finds that is not just easy to consume but also is easy on the palettes as much as on the pockets and very safe as compared to many alternatives with not many desirous side effects.
Make Your Own Cinnamon and Lemon Detox Preparation
- Take 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon organic honey
- Now, boil the water and simply take it off the stove and pour over the cinnamon powder allowing it to steep for at least 15 minutes.
- Add honey only after the liquid is cooled down. Remember that if the water is hot, some of the most useful of enzymes in honey will not be able to work or bind with the others.
You may serve this drink with a few drops of lemon if you prefer the taste.
How Much and When?
Once you have prepared this one cup concoction, you may consume half of it early in the morning on an empty stomach, while the other half cup could be kept refrigerated and consumed before bed time or two hours after meals.
Points to Note!!
- Honey used should only be organic honey. Manuka Honey is supposed to be the best available. Otherwise, any branded unprocessed and unfiltered honey labeled organic is fine.
- In the case of choosing the right kind of cinnamon, it is always advisable to make your own cinnamon powder at home and the best option is to buy the Ceylon variety.
- While you may consume this early in the morning, if you have this at night, honey has a mild laxative effect which works very well for your digestion.
- Also, straining the detox water after it has been prepared is fine, but reheating is not desirable. Once the detox drink is prepared, try to use it up by night.
- This drink could also be added to your green tea which again works wonderfully for your weight loss target.
A Word of Caution!
Cinnamon Lemon detox in the form of this tea should not be consumed beyond five days and not more than two times a day as the coumarin present in cinnamon if taken over a long duration is known to cause liver damage.
This is also called as a cinnamon-related liver toxicity. Thus, what is recommended is a break of several days before you can resume drinking this detox tea once again for another five-day duration. Like all detox programs, one must set a limit of five days and then let your system flush out its residues completely. While honey has no known harmful effects, it is cinnamon which needs to be consumed with some caution.