So you thought green tea was only for drinking, but the truth is that it goes well beyond many other plants for its unique beneficial uses, and growing stronger fingernails faster is one of them.
Most nails grow at a rate of about 1/8 inch each month, but if your nails are not receiving the nutrition they need, they’ll split or break. If your nails are damaged by frequent exposure to detergents or chemicals, the environment or some other outside source, you can change that. If your poor nail condition is the result of a poor diet, you can change that, too.
Where diet is concerned, the nail depends on vitamins A, B, C, D, and E, iron, calcium, zinc, sulfur, and fatty acids, so how does green tea work to better the condition of your nails?
Often, nails can turn yellow due to excessive exposure to chemical products, as a result of using nail polish that contains yellowing dyes and limits the amount of oxygen nails receive, residue from cigarette smoking, or medications.
For a simple solution to yellowing nails, begin by making a pot of strong green tea. Japanese Matcha tea is best for this purpose because it contains the most nutrients.
- Steep 3-4 tea bags or 2 tablespoons of green Matcha powder in 3-4 cups hot water for 10 minutes and allow it to cool.
- Soak your fingers or toes in the cooled tea for 5 minutes.
- Dry the nails thoroughly and rub green tea essential oil onto the surface of the nail and the cuticle.
- You can do this once or twice a week, or every day until you see yellowing fade and disappear.
- Adding 2-3 drops of any essential oil to your nail bath will enhance the experience and make it more like a spa treatment.
Make a replenishing green tea hand and nail mask.
- Open a green tea bag or use 1 tablespoon of Matcha tea powder and soak it in 1 teaspoon of warm water to soften.
- Once tea is softened (about 20 minutes), mix the tea well with 1/2 mashed banana.
- Hands should be warm or hot. You can achieve this by running them under hot water or wearing gloves while the tea is soaking.
- Apply mask to dry hands and nails and allow to absorb for about 20 minutes.
- Rinse with cool water. Your hands and nails will be nicely nourished and hydrated.
Antioxidants in green tea are not limited to working inside the body. Green tea also acts as a natural sunscreen, so applying the essential oil before going to the beach will protect your nails from the damaging and drying effects of the sun..
Please Note: There is a medical condition known as yellow nail syndrome that can also cause yellow nails, but they will also be thick and slow growing, possibly greenish. It’s caused by impaired lymphatic drainage. If your nails are thick and yellow, you may have this very rare condition. Please consult with a medical professional.