Have you been enjoying refreshing ice-cold lemonade ever since you were a child? For many of us lemons are for lemonade, fish dishes and baked goodies. Drinking warm lemon water, however, is not something we have even considered.
Read on to find out some of the ways in which drinking warm lemon water improves your health.
Benefits of Warm Lemon Water
The benefits of drinking warm lemon water are threefold, coming from the water, the lemon and the fact that it is warm. The warmth reduces the amount of energy your body needs to make use of the properties of the lemon water, giving you quicker results.
The Water – Our bodies need water in order for metabolic processes to occur. Other benefits include:
- boosts concentration and energy levels
- suppresses your appetite and promotes weight loss
- helps to flush toxins out of the body
- moisturizes your skin and improves your complexion
- relieves migraines and back pain caused by dehydration
- a natural stool softener for relieving constipation
The Lemon – Lemons have a long history of use in traditional health practices. Recent research backs up its use as a remedy for many conditions, as well as, a preventative measure in others.
Nutrients abound in lemons, giving them their ability to contribute to many areas of wellness. Apart from the high vitamin C content common to all citrus fruits, lemons also have trace amounts of vitamins B1, B2,B6 andB5. Also found in trace amounts in lemons are calcium,copper,iron, manganese,magnesium, phosphorus and potassium.
Here’s a look at some benefits of lemons:
- Cancer prevention – Lemons are rich in vitamin C, with one lemon providing over 50% of the recommended daily requirement. Vitamin C is a very effective antioxidant. Antioxidants are known to prevent the formation of cancer-causing free radicals in the body.
- Asthma relief – The vitamin C in lemons is also an antihistamine and noted as helping to reduce the risk of an asthma attack, as well as, relieving the symptoms in cases of an onset.
- Improves the digestive system – Apart from helping in the production of bile, lemon also helps to maintain optimal pH levels. In addition, both constipation and diarrhoea are prevented or relieved with the use of lemons.
- Cleanses – Lemon acts as a natural cleanser, flushing toxins and bacteria out of the body. This is due in part to its potent diuretic properties (it increases water loss as urine).
- Treatment of rheumatism – Because it acts a diuretic, lemon can also prove helpful to persons suffering from rheumatoid arthritis or other forms of rheumatism.
- Iron absorption – It is well known that iron uptake in cells is maximized in the presence of vitamin C. For this reason, it is always a good idea to have a vitamin C-rich addition to a meal that contains iron.
- Dissolves uric acid – Uric acid build-up can lead to an extremely painful form of arthritis known as gout. Lemon juice helps to relieve the condition by dissolving uric acid in the blood.
- Strengthens the immune system – Lemons help to ward off illnesses and aid speedy recovery.
These are just a few of the benefits of warm lemon water for your health. Why not add it to your bedtime or wakeup routine to nourish and replenish your body?