Over the past few decades, the world has become overfed and undernourished. When we’re sick we look for a quick fix from a doctor and we think this will make us well again, but despite the ever increasing array of medicines available, the current middle aged population reports feeling less healthy than the generation that preceded them.
In the mid-twentieth century, processed food entered the standard diets of most Eastern and Western countries and has become increasingly prevalent to the point that the words “whole food” must be defined for clarification. Today’s processed foods are not only nutrient deficient because of poor soil content, but the plants that go into making them are highly sprayed, fumigated, and irradiated toxic time bombs.
Life expectancies are reducing and our children are expected to live ten years less than the current adult population. Most of us are dying from a handful of avoidable diseases. Why are we getting less healthy? It’s because we’re not addressing the issue of health at the source. Instead of applying a fix to the symptoms of our ailments, we should be reclaiming true health by eating real whole foods each and every day.
Significantly reducing the amount of processed foods you eat will go a long way in helping your body fight against heart disease, cancer, diabetes, autoimmune diseases, neurodegenerative diseases, Alzheimer’s disease, lower respiratory diseases, and kidney disease, among others, and cleansing the digestive system once or twice a month can aid in preventing or potentially reversing these diseases.
What is Juicing?
The term juicing simply means to extract the fluid contents (juice) from the cells and tissues of fruits and vegetables. Drinking the juice of plants allows the body to quickly and easily absorb their nutrients.
The mouth, esophagus, liver, gallbladder, stomach, pancreas, small intestine, and large intestine all take part in the complex arena we call digestion which allows us to break down and absorb our food. But even the healthiest foods require a lot of work before they can be broken into small enough particles to pass through cell walls. Juicing gives these organs a break from the overuse and overwork we continually expect from them.
What are the Benefits of a Juice Cleanse?
There are more benefits to be gained from juicing than simply giving your body that all important break.
- Juicing allows nutrients to be absorbed quickly and easily and increases your energy level.
- Fresh raw whole fruit and vegetable juicing will clear toxins from the body.
- Juicing allows you to create combinations of foods which are customized to your specific needs such as sleeping, immune boosting, bone building, insulin regulating, and detoxifying.
- Juicing on a regular basis (replacing at least 4 meals per week) will cause you to lose weight.
- Juicing can be done at home and taken on the road and “eaten” on the go.
- Juicing is a way of pre-digesting food so the stomach is not strained.
- Juicing can be done with fruits and vegetables that are ripe in season or you can purchase foods and fast freeze them for later use.
- Produce that is on the verge of becoming overripe can be juiced and is not wasted.
- Extracted juice can be used for soups with gentle heating or frozen into delicious healthful fruit pops for adults or kids.
- Juicing is an excellent way to get more vegetables into your diet or your kid’s diets.
- Juicing will not cause bloating which can be the result of hard to digest plant fiber.
- Fiber left over from extracted juice can be used in muffins, meat loaf, breads, cookies, gardens, compost, or even animal feed.